MA - Boston - Tremont Street, 1862-1970
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: The society at Hedding Chapel built this church starting in 1860 and dedicating it in 1862. Tremont Street became a major congregation, where the Women’s Foreign Missionary Society was founded in 1869. Memorial windows for this organization are found throughout the church. Tremont was home to the merged congregation of Bromfield-Tremont beginning in 1913, the United Church when People’s Temple merged in 1922, and continued as Tremont Street after 1925 when United became Copley. It was listed as part of the Methodist Religious Society in Boston until 1947, then continued as an independent church until 1971. After United (Bromfield-Tremont-People’s Temple) moved to Copley, a congregation continued at Tremont. From 1927 to 1947, Copley and Tremont were listed separately under the general name, Methodist Religious Society in Boston. The church was finally closed in 1971, when the building was sold to a Baptist congregation. It has been designated a United Methodist Historic Site.
Held at:
Theology Library Archives
745 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
Record Series Number: 08/MA/009/003/032
Volume: 6.0 Boxes
Languages of Materials
English [eng]