MA - Boston - Bromfield Street, 1790-1922
[Back to Formatted Version]
Brief Description: Began in 1806 as a mission of Methodist Alley, constructing the church the same year, but was considered one congregation with two churches. It became independent in 1831, and was listed as Boston South until 1835, when it was finally recognized by its own name. The church was remodeled in 1848, suffered a fire and was rebuilt in 1864, and substantially repaired in 1895. When the successor of Methodist Alley began using the name “First” in 1870, Bromfield took the corporate name of Methodist Religious Society in Boston. The building was closed in 1913, when the congregation merged with Tremont Street to form Bromfield-Tremont.
Held at:
Theology Library Archives
745 Commonwealth Ave.
Boston, MA 02215
Record Series Number: 08/MA/009/003/014
Volume: 10.0 Boxes
Languages of Materials
English [eng]